Saturday, September 10, 2011

Gregg for Indiana

This past Wednesday night I got to experience something for the first time - a political fundraising dinner.  I was an attendee as our local county's Jefferson Jackson Dinner, which is a fundraising event for area and state Democrats.  Besides hearing talks from two local Democratic mayors, the main address was given by John Gregg, who is the presumptive Democratic nominee for Governor of Indiana.

Couple of things stand out to me.  One, how easily and natural all the political conversation was.  It has much to do with the fact that most of the people in the room have similar political philosophies, but it was a different experience for me, as I often find myself very guarded about what I say depending on who I am around.  In some respects, it was just nice to listen to the conversation, as it  tended to be very informative, regardless of political philosophy, on local issues.  

The second is that I came away impressed with the main speaker, John Gregg.  It's obvious as to why he has been a successful lawyer and a successful politician in the past.  He is very articulate, and was very insightful on the challenges his campaign will face.  He also came across as very genuine when discussing the need to focus on what people can agree on, understanding that there will always be some issues that people will disagree on; but disagreement does not have to result in division.  

We are very long way away from a November 2012 election, and thus, much can change.  But, for at least one night, I came away very impressed and even optimistic.  And as politics usually stress me out, gets under my skin, and makes me upset, I am appreciative for that little respite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Assembly Line of Attention

Well, hello there (in my best Obi-Wan Kenobi impersonation). It's been over two years since I last posted anything here, and even then I...